Do you want to learn the way to add Nofollow links in WordPress navigation menus?
The nofollow link is added to the external link in order to restrict the search engine from following that path. Most of the users favor adding a nofollow link to the external link. However, beginners might feel difficulty in adding a nofollow link. Therefore, we are here with an easy tutorial to help you out.
In this article, we will discuss the nofollow link in detail as well as mention the easy way to add it to the navigation menu. We will ensure that after learning this article you will have complete knowledge about nofollow links and steps to add them in the navigation menu.
What is Nofollow Link?
Basically, the nofollow link is such a link that doesn’t allow the search engines to follow the link that you add while linking to other websites. This is very handy when you need to restrict your authority to other websites. By adding the rel=”nofollow” link to the attribute, you can turn any link to the Nofollow link.
|<a href=”https://youesite.com” rel=”nofollow”>Example</a>|
While running the WordPress website, you might have added an external link to your website. Adding the external link to the site is like giving a ranking signal to the search engines. And, hence, they pass some amount of the authority to the other websites. Nofollow link stops the authority and helps to maintain the ranking of your site.
Now, the question arises when to add the nofollow link. Whenever you are linking your site to an external site you don’t trust which is totally new for you, you need to add a nofollow link. The links of Wikipedia, Accesspress, New YorkTimes are acceptable as well recommended to link without labeling the nofollow link. However, the less credible website needs nofollow links. For example, Affiliate and Sponsored links, External links, Sidebar links, etc.
The addition of the nofollow link in the navigation menu items is different from simply adding the nofollow link and confusing for the beginners as well. Here we will learn to add this link in the easiest method mentioned below.
Adding Nofollow Link Using WordPress Menu Editor
This step is recommended to all users including beginners. Without a doubt, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, navigate to Appearance >> Menus in your WordPress admin area.
- Now, add the external link to the navigation menu like the way you add any custom link. Simply click on the “Custom Links” tab and this will expand into URL and Link Text.
- You need to enter the external link in the URL section and add the link text.
- Make sure you click on the “Add to Menu” button.
- Next, you need to click on the downward arrow on the right of the menu to add no follow the link as in the below:
- However, Link Target and Link Relationship options are not visible in the menu, you need to add them by clicking on the “Screen Options” located at the top right corner.
- Check the boxes beside Link Target and Link Relationship (XFN) options respectively.
- Now return back to the main menu and you will find two new options in the menu settings. Go forward and add “nofollow” in the “Link Relationship” (XFN). Also, we recommend you to check the box beside the “Open link in a new tab” because it helps to improve user engagement and prevents visitors from leaving the page.
- Lastly, save the changes by clicking on the “Save Menu” option.
Note: For further confirmation, you can click on the link and select the “Inspect” options. It will display a nofollow attribute with your link.
Hence in this way you have successfully added the nofollow link to the navigation menu without facing any problem.
Lastly, we hope this tutorial was helpful for you. We have mentioned the easiest way to add a nofollow link in the WordPress navigation menu. If you have any queries or suggestions related to this topic do let us know in the comment section below. Additionally, if you are planning to add the WordPress logout link to the navigation menu, visit our article “How to Add the WordPress Logout Link to Navigation Menu?“.