Are you thinking of removing category base from your WordPress URLs? Well, I am sure you want to do this to receive SEO benefits and better user-friendly URLs. Generally removing category means to remove /category/ from your site URL.
By default, WordPress uses categories base in their links automatically. But, don’t you worry, removing Category Base from your WordPress URLs is really easy.
Here we will be discussing two methods with step by step guide to get your category base removed. We will do it with and without the use of WordPress Plugin.
- Remove Category Base through Settings
- Remove Category using Yoast SEO Plugin
Method I: Remove Category Base through Settings
This can be considered as the easiest way to remove the category base. You don’t need to install any extra plugin or have any kind of coding knowledge.
Step 1: Log in to WordPress Dashboard
- Click on Settings>>Permalinks Option at the left bar of the page.
Step 2: Make Changes on Optional Section
- Now, you can see the Optional Section. On the Category base Option leave a dot(.) over Category base.
- Don’t forget to click on the Save Changes button to save the necessary changes made.
Method II: Remove Category Base using Plugin
FV Top Level Categories is an easy and useful WordPress Plugin. Use this plugin to remove the category base. Also, you can use any other plugin as per your choice. If you don’t have the plugin installed in your WordPress Directory than you can go through our article.
Step 1: Search for the WordPress Plugin.
- Click on Plugins>>Add New button at the left bar of the page. Search for FV Top Level Categories plugin.
Step 2: Install and Active the Plugin.
- Click on the Install Now button. Then, Activate the plugin. The plugin does it work immediately after installing it.
By these simple and short steps, you can remove your category base from your WordPress URLs. If you have any kind of queries or suggestions leave it in the comment section below. Stay tuned to see more articles in WP HowToPress.