WordPress Widgets are a pre-built module that enables to apply particular functions without having any kind of technical knowledge. It can easily be installed and executed within the web page by the user. Users can extend their blog and show additional information in the predefined area with the help of widgets.
Adding additional content and features would be easy in the widgetized areas of the theme by using a widget. If widgets were not available users would need to prepare the code and show simple things on sidebar manually.
Widget-ready areas can be found below content, header, footer, sidebar and many other areas in a theme. By default, WordPress comes along with different types of widgets including categories, recent post, search, calendar etc.
Importance of using Widget
Just by using widget users can customize the site to fit their needs. Widgers makes it easy to add popular posts, galleries, quotes and other dynamic items in your WordPress website. It makes easier to design elements and add features without any coding knowledge. WordPress widget can easily be dragged and dropped in the place that you want it to appear.
In the same way, there are three types of WordPress widget available, they are:
- WordPress Widget: Several built-in widgets are available in the market. It basically includes tags, categories, text, post, search option, custom menu and much more.
- Plugin Widgets: Many WordPress plugins add their own widgets. It’s done by the developers to give more control over the functions that need to be displayed.
- Genesis Widgets: WordPress website that is powered by Genesis Framework provides additional widgets in the user profile, featured page, post and much more.
Things you Need to Know
Widgets are considered to be the most understood part of WordPress. Widgets are considered as a plugin by many but that’s not true. It can just be created by using different plugins. Let’s get to know about it in a better way:
- Widgets Follow Instructions: WordPress Widgets do exactly what we tell them to do. So, be very careful that the instructions you provide them are right. In order to get everything done in the correct way, do experiments before using complicated ones.
- Show Menus: Widget enables you to add your desired number of custom menus in your WordPress Site. Likewise, many WordPress Themes show the navigation menus in the header file which can be one or two in number.
- Share Contents: Widgets provide a way for users to read the related post, recent or popular post just after reading a post. Many websites widely display their social media on widgets.
- A Lot More: Except for the above-mentioned points, widgets can be used to display calendar, testimonials, map, texts, announcements. Many websites also use them to display recent services that are offered.
Where can you use Widgets
This is one of the equally important questions that WordPress Beginners ask. This is really easy, you don’t need to explore and search for many places. All the widget-ready areas are listed in Appearance>>Widget.
After opening this page, you can easily see all the available areas at the right side. Of course, most of the themes allow adding different widgets whereas some of them don’t support any themes.
How to Add WordPress Widgets
After having a basic concept about the widget, I am sure you might want to add it to your website. In that case, let’s go through the simple step by step guide to add a new WordPress widget. Likewise, doing this is really easy, it can be done within a couple of steps.
- First of all, you need to have access to the WordPress customizer menu. For that, click on the button Apperance>>Customize.
- Next, Click on the Widgets option at the left side of your website. Moreover, be careful your theme might have some different widgetized area.
- As a result, now you need to select a specific area where you are willing to Add a Widget. Also, you will also be able to edit the existing widgets of your site.
- Similarly, after you finish adding the widget, click on the Publish button to save all the changes you have made. For this reason, you can preview any kind of widget in real-time.
Specifically, if you have any confusion while making your URLs SEO Friendly then go through our article “How to Make your WordPress URLs SEO Friendly?“